Application to make a presentation
When you apply on the Web to make a presentation, please note the following:
- The server will be very busy on days close to the final day for making applications for a presentation. You are encouraged to apply at least a week before the closing date to ensure easy completion of your application.
- Papers submitted in electronic format must be in the form of a PDF file.
- Applications are accepted only through the appropriate webpage. No application will be accepted on paper.
- You are encouraged to protect your rights regarding the content in your paper, by applying for patents for example, as early as possible, although there is a provision in the Patent Law that you may apply for a patent concerning the content of your paper without losing the novelty of your invention provided that the application is made within six months after the publication of your paper.
Information about application to make a presentation and the electronic submission of a paper for a general session or a symposium
Instructions for submitting a paper (Be sure to read this.)
Please read the "Instructions for submitting a paper".
Period during which presentation applications and papers may be submitted
The period during which an application, modification, or cancellation of an application to make a presentation, and the submission of the paper are accepted is as shown below. The submission of an application (or modification or cancellation) is accepted only through the appropriate webpage. However, the paper itself may be submitted either electronically or as hard copy.
Friday, November 2, 2018 - Wednesday, January 9, 2019 (deadline 17:00 hours, Japan time)
(Note) If your paper has not been received during this period, it is assumed that you have canceled your application to make a presentation. If you wish to submit your paper as hard copy, the application confirmation slip and the copyright transfer form must be received during the above period, in addition to your paper.
For application to make a presentation, please click here.
Example of form for applying to make a presentation
If you wish to see an example, please click here.
Technical field of presentation
Specify the technical field using a code (e.g., A-1). You can find a list of technical fields if you click the name of the relevant Society below.
Procedure for applying to make a presentation
- Select "New application" on the top page of "Application to make a presentation".
- Enter your membership number for the IEICE (or partner engineering society) in the membership number area. If you are not a member of the IEICE and wish to become a member, click here for an application to join the IEICE. You will then receive an email from the IEICE, which provides a provisional IEICE membership number "87654321" (8 digits). Enter this number in the membership number area for your application to make a presentation. If you are not a member, enter "9999999" in the membership number area.
- An application window will appear. Enter the relevant information in each field. For a list of the items of information required and an example of typical entries, refer to the examples in the application window. (We recommend that you print the examples of entries, and refer to them while you enter your information.)
Note: The information you provide here will appear in the table of contents of the Conference Program, etc. So, please double check that your entries are correct. We recommend that you enter all the information items on your word processor first, and then copy each item onto the application form.
- In particular, be sure to provide a correct email address and postal address. Otherwise, you will not be able to receive email or mail from the IEICE.
- When you have provided all the necessary details, click the "Apply (I agree to the copyright transfer)" button once only.
- If your application has been received correctly, an application receipt slip is displayed.
- Your application number and password will be displayed. Be sure to print it and keep a hard copy.
- You will need your application number and password when you confirm, modify, or cancel your application, when you submit your paper, and when you pay your participation and presentation fee.
- Print the application receipt slip and keep a hard copy.
- When your application has been received correctly, an email will be sent to you. Be sure to check the email.
Note: If you do not receive the email within 24 hours of submitting your application, your application may not have been received correctly. Please refer to FAQ.
- Refer to the "Flowchart from application to paper submission."
(Request for early application)
The server will be very busy on days close to the final day for making applications for a presentation. You are encouraged to apply and submit your paper as early as possible since you can modify your application or your submitted paper as many times as necessary during the period when application and paper submission is permitted.
(Characters and special formatting permitted for use in your paper)
Superscripts, subscripts and italics in the paper title and abstract should be expressed using the following HTML tags (such as
Note 1: Use single-byte characters for tags.
Note 2: No images or illustrations can be used in your paper title or abstract.
Confirming or modifying details of your application
- Go to the Top page of "Application to make a presentation", and select "Confirming or modifying details of my application".
- Enter the application number and password you received at the time of your application.
- The details of your application will be displayed. If you wish to modify any item, edit it and click the "Modify" button below the item. When you have modified any item, you will receive an email confirmation.
Canceling your application
- Go to the Top page of "Application to make a presentation", and select "Canceling my application".
- Enter the application number and password you received at the time of your application.
- The details of your application will be displayed. If you wish to cancel your application, click the "Cancel" button at the bottom.
Submitting your paper as a PDF file
Submit your application in accordance with the "Procedure for applying to make a presentation". If your application has been received correctly, an "application receipt slip", showing the application number and password needed when accessing your application details, will be displayed. Print the slip and keep a hard copy. An email will be sent to you to confirm the details of your application. Please be sure to check the email for correctness. During the period when applications to make a presentation are permitted, you can modify or cancel your application using your application number and password. For details, refer to "Confirming or modifying details of your application" or "Canceling your application". When you prepare your paper, refer to the "Guide to writing your paper (Electronic submission, Example of paper)" which can be selected on the Top page. Submit your paper as a PDF file using your application number and password as indicated below.
Note: You may not submit your paper as an attachment to an email.
Submitting a paper as a PDF file
- Go to the Top page of "Application to make a presentation". Select "Submitting a paper as a PDF file". Click Next.
- Enter the application number and password you received at the time of your application. Click Next.
- Click the "Browse" button, specify the file you want to send, and click the "I agree to copyright transfer and send this file" button. Do not enter the filename directly. Be sure to use the "Browse" button.
- When the file has been submitted successfully, a reception completed window will appear.
- When the file has been submitted successfully, an email will be sent to you.
- The file size of pdf file for general session will be smaller than 500KB and the size will be smaller than 1MB for the symposium session. Please be careful if the pdf file size over the above limits, it cannot be uploaded from the web site.
- You can send your PDF file only after you have completed your application to make a presentation.
- Do not enable security settings in your PDF file.
- Your PDF filename should have a "***.PDF" extension.
- Use only alphanumeric or Japanese characters in filenames and directory names. You may not use single-byte Katanaka, space, period, slash, single-byte symbols (e.g., エ, %, &, ", #, $). For example, if you use Japanese Windows OS, you cannot submit a PDF file stored on the desktop of your PC because the directory name would include single-byte Katakanas. Also, if you use Windows OS, you cannot submit a PDF file from your "My Documents" folder because the directory name would include a space.
- If you do not submit your PDF file by the deadline (Wednesday, January 9, 2019, (17:00 hours, Japan time), your application to make a presentation will be canceled.
The IEICE used to deal with copyrights individually. To remedy this situation, it adopted "Provisions on Copyright", which became effective on April 1, 2003. The Provisions will apply to papers submitted to General Conferences. Papers to General Conferences are accepted on condition that the authors agree to the transfer of the copyright of their paper to the IEICE. If a submitted paper is not accepted, the copyright to that paper is returned to the authors. However, any hard copy submitted is not returned.
The link to the "Provisions on Copyright" is shown below. Please read it before you submit your paper.
Although Article 4 and Article 1 (Explanation of terms) in the Provisions on Copyright state that a "Copyright transfer form" and an "Application form for permission to use the copyrighted material" are accepted only as hard copy, this provision is replaced by the clicking of the "I agree to the transfer of copyright" button in General Conferences. However, if you submit your paper as a hard copy, the submission of a hard copy of your "Copyright transfer form" is required.
To see the "Provisions on Copyright", click here.